I’m currently reading Gayle Laakmann’s “Cracking the Coding Interview” so I could perform better in technical interviews (and also increase my knowledge in a lot of Computer Science related topics), and one of the things that she suggests is to make a career plan. She makes an obvious (or maybe not obvious?) point that what we want to achieve in our professional lives should depend on the career plan we made for ourselves.
Here’s the snippet of what Laakmann said in her book:
Career Path: Make a plan for your career. What do you want to do 5, 10, and 15 years from now? What skills do you need to develop? Which company or position will help you get there?
Before starting at a company, devise a career plan. What would you like your career to look like? What will it take to get there?
However, if you want to run a company one day, or move up into management, you should stop and check your career plan. Is another year at your job going to help you get there? Or is it time to move? You, and only you, can decide.
That being said, here’s my current career plan. It’ll probably go through a few iterations but, I think it covers much of what I really want to do with my career.
– Get an entry-level web development job, video game development job or a mobile application development job.
– Continue developing in Android, and learn Swift/Objective-C in order to develop for iOS.
– Improve in all the languages/technologies I am currently experienced in.
– Learn Ruby/Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, and Django.
In 5 years
– Continue improving in all the languages/technologies I’m currently experienced in.
– Continue gaining valuable experience at the job I have.
– Ship at least 1 Android application to Google Play.
– Ship at least 1 iOS application to the App Store.
– Ship at least 1 Wix application to the Wix App Store.
– Become a LinkedIn influencer.
– Generate a larger following on my blog in order to establish my web presence.
In 10 years
– Hold a Chief Technical Officer or Project Manager title at my full-time job.
– Begin serving as a mentor for fellow Computer Science majors in college.
– Ship at least 1 more Android application to Google Play.
– Ship at least 1 more iOS application to the App Store.
– Ship at least 1 more Wix applicaction to the Wix App Store.
In 15 years
– Explore through my Entrepreneurial ideas, and start a company.
– Ship an indie video game.
– Begin giving business/technical talks at Universities.
What’s your career plan? Feel free to post it on your own blog! Please reference my blog post (or whatever WordPressers do when referencing other people in their blog) if you do decide to do so!